Yoga teacher Coral Brown can’t get enough of local eatery, Oberlin, in Providence, Rhode Island. Here, owner and chef Benjamin Sukle shares his inventive spin on caesar salad.
Oberlin’s kohlrabi caesar salad
Photo by Jennifer Olson
“I love when a salad comes together in all the right ways. Oberlin’s kohlrabi caesar is deliciously dressed and has great texture. Kohlrabi, also called a German turnip, is sweet-but-peppery and crunchy until the last bite. The cured fish and caesar-style dressing is savory enough to make your taste buds explode.”
- 4 oz smoked trout or pickled herring, sliced into bite-size pieces
½ cup mixed fresh herbs (such as parsley and chives), divided
1 tsp lemon zest
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
¼ tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
⅓ cup plus ¼ cup and 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
4 slices ¼-inch-thick country-style bread
1 large egg yolk
1 garlic clove, finely grated
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 lbs kohlrabies (about 5), peeled, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
1. In a large bowl, toss trout, ¼ cup fresh herbs, lemon zest, red pepper, salt, black pepper, and ¼ cup olive oil. Let sit at room temperature, 20 minutes.
2. Heat oven to 350°. Drizzle both sides of bread with 1 tbsp olive oil, and season with salt to taste. Toast bread on a baking sheet until golden, flipping once, 8–10 minutes. Let cool, then crumble into small pieces.
3. In another bowl, whisk egg yolk, garlic, and 1 tsp lemon juice. Gradually drizzle in remaining ⅓ cup and 2 tbsp olive oil, whisking until dressing is thickened and emulsified, about 1 minute.
4. Add kohlrabies and remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice to trout mixture, and toss to combine. Divide dressing, kohlrabi salad, croutons, remaining ¼ cup fresh herbs, and Parmesan among four plates (or combine all in one large serving dish).
- Serving Size: 1 salad
- Calories: 585
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 46 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 703 mg